If you have been involved in an accident that caused personal injuries, and you are considering taking legal action, the following steps need to be taken as soon as possible, ideally within the first week:
Personal Injury Lawsuits - Where to begin
Immediate Action Items
Call. Message. Email. Get the conversation started. We encourage everyone to consult with us even if you are unsure whether or not you are certain you will follow through. We are here to help!
The following list describes what steps must be taken to prepare for a personal injury case in Ontario, Canada. Before you get started, it is very helpful to gather any documentation surrounding the incident. This includes digital media; such as images or video. Once you have assembled these items, take a minute and go through these steps, slowly, one by one.
- If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, make sure a full police report has been filed.
- If your accident occurred on property or on a sidewalk (such as a slip and fall), take photographs of the area as soon as possible after the accident has occurred. It is important to preserve what the accident scene looked like before any changes can occur.
- Start a file on your accident and include:
- Notes surrounding the accident as detailed as possible
- Names & addresses of individuals involved, as well as any accident witnesses
- Treating physicians name and contact information, including hospital name and address
- Details surrounding any potential insurance policies that may provide coverage
- Provide notification to your insurance company as soon as you are able
- Log all related expenses and keep receipts for any related purchases.
- Log dates and time spent providing care, as well as name and address of care provider.
- Complete a Free Legal Consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
After your free personal injury consultation, your lawyer will immediately start putting together the file to ensure that your rights are fully protected so that you will ultimately receive the full compensation to which you are legally entitled.
During this initial discovery phase, we will also advise you on any other potential benefits for which you may be eligible, whether under private insurance such as short or long term disability or under a public program such as CPP disability, EI sick benefits or Ontario Disability Benefits.
Mackesy Smye provides a holistic approach for handling your case, which means we are looking for any and all areas where you may have coverage, insurance companies, individuals, businesses and government entities. This ensures we are getting you the maximum settlement and compensation for your accident.
Get started by submitting your request to schedule a free, no-obligation personal injury consultation so we can get a better sense of the strength of your case and provide you with specific recommended options to pursue.
Legal Fees and Costs
Mackesy Smye’s personal injury legal services are all handled entirely on a contingency basis, which is a percentage of your settlement. This means you do not have to worry about upfront costs to file your personal injury lawsuit – you d not pay until we settle your claim.
The specific percentage varies depending on the particulars of your case – but typically, the more risk for the firm, the higher the percentage.
Get started by booking your Free Personal Injury Consultation.
Testimonials & Case Wins
Mackesy Smye Law Firm provides one of the best personal injury legal teams available anywhere in Canada.
Here is what some of our past clients have said about their experience with the firm, as well as some insights into the settlements we have been able to achieve for them and their families.
“Thank you for your expert attention to my recent case. It was very comforting to have you on my team and I don’t believe I would have had such an excellent resolution to the matter without your outstanding work.”
“Thank you for representing me. You restored my faith in lawyers with your down to earth, common sense approach (and) your honesty and genuine concern for people like (us)”
“I can’t say enough about how happy I was working with you and your team. Thank you for making the whole process simple for me.”
“I wanted to thank you for everything you’ve done to help our family. I also feel you’ve gone out of your way to provide compassionate help for all our best interest. I could go on and on…”
“Thank you so much for taking care of both my car accident cases. I highly appreciate your professionalism, cooperation and bright personality. Thanks a lot for being understanding and generous to me”