Of course, there are times when you must definitely report a collision to the police no matter how insignificant. If anyone is injured you have an obligation to report the accident to the police. Apart from injuries, a criminal act like driving under the influence of alcohol, accidents involving Government vehicles, accidents with uninsured or unlicensed drivers, and hitting pedestrians or bicyclists means that you must immediately report the accident.

The threshold of property damage requiring reporting to police varies from province to province. In Alberta, for example, the threshold is $2,000, and in Ontario the threshold is $1,000. Simply put, you don’t need to report an accident to the police if the overall damage is less than what is outlined by your province. Do remember, this limit includes the damages caused to both vehicles. In Ontario, in March 2015, the provincial government proposed to double the threshold limit to $2,000.  The final verdict on the proposed charges are still awaited.

When it comes to insurance company reporting, you are required to report all accidents, regardless of the amount of damage. Don’t be misled into believing that you can pay for the damages yourself and avoid the insurance company.  If you don’t report the accident and the other driver ends up reporting the accident, then you could be in trouble when the other insurance company contacts yours.

If you or a loved one is a victim of a car accident, get in touch with Hamilton’s most respected and experienced legal team. We will answer all your threshold related queries and if you wish, we can work tirelessly on your behalf to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.